Mothers

Today is Flashback Friday.  I have had a hard time with this post today. It has not come easy.


But to not be grateful for my Mother would be an understatement.  We had a different kind of relationship.  I am the oldest of 6 children and I was 5 years older than my next sibling.  And the rest of those kids came around PDQ.  1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1988  My Mom was CAPITOL BUSY raising up them young'uns.  I was her wing man.  And I resented it.  Now don't get me wrong I love my brothers and sisters.  But I am going to be honest here.  You have heard the saying the the squeaky wheel gets the grease, in our house it was the crying baby gets held. Once at a talent show my Mom set the stage with her favorite rocking chair and rocked the youngest baby in our family at the time.  I loved rocking my own babies.  Wonder where I got that from?  My Mom was not a great cook, but she loved good food.  I hate to cook, but will cook if the food is worth the effort.  My Mom was content to wear the same style of elastic waist pants in about 15 different colors.  I wear jeans.  I never asked my Mom to be with me for the birth of any of my children, except for number 21.  Most young mothers want their own mother with them.  I was OK.  I was OK without my Mom till I hit my head and she dropped everything in her life to come to Wyoming and help me and my family.  She was selfless.  And I needed her.  Later, in the weeks before she passed away she told me that she had needed me to need her.  It was my blessing to care for her in her last months here on earth.  Before cancer took her from me.  Before I was done needing her.  But I am grateful for that time, that short short time.

Comments

Renee Campbell said…
Dee, I'm sure this was hard for you to write but I really loved reading about your mom. I'm always curious about her and these little tidbits you give me put a smile on my face. It's no wonder Charly loves you so much, she must sense that oldest sibling thing you two have in common, LOL

Popular Posts